Engagements in Maui

Engagements in Maui

Monday, February 17, 2014

Well, I decided it was time that I start to blog again. I decided to put family updates here. So we just had Valentines. Riley and I cut out hearts and wrote valentines to Michael. I also made Michael a Brisket for Valentines Day it was really really good!! Here is the recipe. It was a Paula Dean recipe that I tweaked



Make sure your brisket is completely thawed.
Then make a dry rub:

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 crushed bay leaf

Rub it all over both sides of the brisket and throw it in the oven. Cook it at 350 for one hour. After that hour throw in a cup and a half of beef broth then add enough water to cover it 1/2 an inch. Cover the pan tight either with a lid or foil. Put it back in the oven at 275 for 9 or so more hours. All of the fat will combine and drench that meat in flavor.

Make some buttery potatoes and you will go to bed with an exploding tummy.

Lately we also picked up a new horse named Freckles Michael is really excited to have her.


We also moved the girls into new beds Riley is now sleeping in a toddler bed. She had a few really bad days then she pulled through and is mostly sleeping through the night. She always wants me to climb in with her. I have to admit it is nice to snuggle with her but after about 10 minutes I remember that I am 5'8" and I don't fit too comfortably in a toddler bed.  Ellie has been moved to Riley's crib. She sleeps awesome. I put up Riley's old mobile and Ellie loves to lay and watch it spin and play.   We also bought a new puppy that we named Twix, he is a ball of energy and spirit. We brought him home from Fallon when we went to be with our family after Rachel passed away.

Rachel's funeral was beautiful and terribly sad. She will be thought of often and dearly loved.  Rachel was so beautiful inside and out. During Christmas her and Riley shared a bedroom. Riley stuggled sleeping so Rachel woke up on Christmas Day and played with her at 4 am until Michael woke up and took over at 7 am.  She never complained once about watching Riley for me or cleaning up Riley's mess while we made sugar cookies.  I don't think ill ever look at sugar cookies again without thinking about Rachel.


I'll add pics soon!

0 comments: